Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Snow Day and new art


We woke up this morning to a surprise: freezing rain. Fortunately, it changed to snow after a few hours. School was canceled, so Nicholas was thrilled. He and Dexter (the dog) and a neighbor boy played in the snow for hours. Nicholas and his friend put their excess energy to good use by shoveling the neighbors' walkways.

I've been creating art lately! I was in an art funk for a while, but I'm back on track now. I finished these charms for a swap hosted by the amazing Diane Downs . I sent 37 of these to her last weekend. I can't wait to see the charms I get back. The artists in her swaps always amaze me.


The photo isn't very clear, so I'll describe them. The images are from very old German margarine cards that I bought on Ebay. (My favorite 24-hour art supply store!) Why did companies put cards of bird art in packages of margarine? I have no idea. I scanned them, adjusted the color and printed them on transparencies. I LOVE working with transparencies! They are sandwiched between tiny pieces of glass and soldered. I didn't back them with any paper so that you can see through the charm.

I'll be making more of these in the future. They combine several of my favorite things: bird images, transparencies, circles and soldering! I really need to work on my jewelry photography skills if I want to open an Etsy shop. It looks like our snow and ice aren't going anywhere soon, so maybe I'll have a chance to do that tomorrow.

No comments: